‘Murals 1959′, Stefan Knapp
Working in collaboration with BAA and Richard Rogers Partnership, we re-instated ‘Murals 1959’ for the Terminal 1 Flight Connection Centre at Heathrow Airport in 1996. We managed the whole process including the acquisition, restoration and installation of the murals.
‘Murals 1959’ had originally been commissioned for Heathrow Airport’s first modern terminal building in 1959 when Stefan Knapp was an established international artist with major commissions in the UK, Europe and the USA. Knapp pioneered the technique of large scale painting in enamel on steel panels, enabling him to take an architectural approach to his public centred work.
‘Murals 1959’ was at Heathrow from 1996 until 2017 when the work was decommissioned by Heathrow as part of the preparation for the re-development of Heathrow in anticipation of the third runway.
We re-instated ‘Murals 1959′ as part of the BAA Art Programme in 1996.